Scott Satterfield, you’ve just earned your first win as coach of the University of Louisville while giving the program its first win in just under a year. What are you going to do next?
I’M GOING TO OPRYLAND!
It’s off to Nashville for the Cardinals (1-1) as they prepare to face the Hilltoppers (1-1, 1-0 C-USA) of Western Kentucky University. Having defeated Eastern Kentucky for their first win in just under a year, it only makes sense that they face the counter-cardinal directional opponent and do so in a completely different state. Braxton Bragg was foolish to invade Kentucky so it’s only fitting that 160 years later we play a football game in Tennessee to show them secesh who’s boss.
And in good news for you readers out there, I do not plan to wax poetic on the geographic inappropriateness of calling Western Kentucky by its appellation. Why, you ask? Because Bowling Green is, in fact, in Western Kentucky. Richmond, KY is in the Bluegrass Region, i.e. Central Kentucky. Bowling Green, KY is in the Pennyroyal, i.e. Western Kentucky. Q.E.D. I will sling Mississippian mud at you should you dare to counter my assertion.
Fan Yourself, It’s A Hot One
The drive down should be a pleasant one without any weather issues for those making the trip. But it’s going to be a hot sunny day, so bring that sunscreen and pound that water.
Tailgate Forecast: 85°F – Partly Cloudy
Kickoff Forecast: 90°F – Mostly Sunny
Game Forecast: 87°F – Mostly Sunny
There is a very slight (10%) chance of showers in the late afternoon.
Kickoff is scheduled for 3:00 pm CDT in Nashville. Don’t forget! That’s 4:00 pm EDT in Louisville.
In The Cards
The Cards notched their first win of the season last Saturday, but what can be taken from the victory against an FCS opponent?
- Javian Hawkins is fuh reals. Two consecutive 100+ yard rushing games is nothing to sniff at.
- Jawon Pass can certainly do all the things we thought he could, but the question of the pass game remains.
- But what of Malik? The knee looks good, and the snaps he took against EKU were fruitful. Are we looking at a rotation system? Saturday might tell us more about the season to come.
- Jordan Davis (R-Sr. TE) returns from academic ineligibility, and adds another weapon to the Cardinals line. With Marshon Ford showing the skill that was expected, it will be interesting to see how the Louisville offensive staff employs the dynamics of their roster.
- Expect WKU to stack the box and make UofL come right at them. The Hilltoppers didn’t have much luck in the secondary against Central Arkansas. If UofL can find a passing rhythm we may see a blood bath.
- A shutout is a shutout, is a shutout. FCS or no, Saturday was the first shutout since 2013 against FIU.
- Rodjay Burns started slowly due to an ankle inury but had a great showing against EKU. His health is crucial to continued success for the season.
- 2019 – Eight sacks in two games. 2018 – 11 sacks in 12 games. Enough said.
- The Louisville defense has been the key to success, or the key to the allowance of success, in both games this season. Western will present a challenge, but we should once again expect to see a stellar performance from Bryan Brown’s squad.
- WKU fell to FCS opponent Central Arkansas in their first game of the season. The Hilltoppers’ defense could not stop the Bears’ passing attack.
- Western has not defeated Louisville since 1975, and the Cardinals own the series 20-12.
- Last year’s match-up had the Cardinals barely scrape by with a 20-17 victory, and the last time the Hilltoppers traveled to Nashville they defeated the Kentucky Wildcats in the infamous, “They supposed to be SEC,” game.
- Hilltoppers RB Gaej Walker has 252 yards through two games and ranks 11th in FBS.
- While the WKU run defense has been successful, they haven’t found as much joy in their secondary. Saturday is a great opportunity for the Louisville QBs to stretch their arms.
KNOW THE FOE: Crum’s Revenge
Latest posts by Tom Farmer (see all)
- VIDEO: Wake Forest Post-Game – Cards 73 – Wake Forest 69 - December 30, 2021
- RECAP: Cards 73 – Wake Forest 69 in a “gut check” win - December 29, 2021
- VIDEO: Mack/West Wake Forest Pre-Game - December 29, 2021