Recruiting updates from Chris Person (@cpersonTCZ). Please check back regularly as any small bit of info will be published here.
- With no time to waste Louisville’s coaches have hit the road recruiting again. One visit in particular was by assistant coach Cort Dennison to one of the top remaining targets, Brian Edwards this morning. It sounds like the visit went well and with Edwards expected on campus this weekend, Louisville would love to secure a commitment from the 4-star DB.
- Another name to keep an eye on over the next few weeks is 4-star safety Kaleb Oliver. Oliver re-opened his commitment up yesterday from Mississippi St. after defensive coordinator Peter Sirmon left Miss. St. for Louisville. I would imagine Louisville will add only 1 more defensive back and if they miss on Edwards, Oliver could become their primary target.
- Regarding new defensive coordinator Peter Sirmon, I heard from one uncommitted prospect who had been recruited by him that he is “a real good guy” and that people will love his personality. As far as recruiting, the prospect said “If he wants you, he’s gonna fight for you”. He also mentioned that Sirmon is “someone that the players will enjoy and love’.
- I had heard for quite a while that Louisville was in great position to land 4-star JUCO LB Gary Johnson but recently it seems that may have changed. I am not sure if the numbers wouldn’t have worked out to take him or if other schools were just higher on his list than Louisville. Regardless, as of now no official visit is planned and unless something changes it does not appear he is a likely addition to the class.
- I am removing DT target Tyrone Truesdell from the recruits to watch list. There was talk of him visiting soon but that seems like it isn’t going to happen. It appears Louisville has backed off of recruiting him, presumably due to limited spots remaining in the class.
- I have removed 4-star OT Kadeem Telfort from our watch list as he announced yesterday he had officially enrolled at Florida. Louisville did a great job with recruiting him and from what I had heard it sounded like he legitimately wanted to come here but it wasn’t enough to overcome other factors.
- Closing in on NSD and there are very few spots left in the class. I don’t keep track of exact numbers just because of variables involved. They can only take so many before current commits would have to be replaced and that we will just have to let play out. I can say that Louisville wants to take at least 4 if not 5 offensive lineman in this class. The 3 top targets to watch would be Caleb Chandler, Toryque Bateman, and Jordan Tucker. Could they get all 3? Certainly possible. I have predicted Chandler and Bateman to Louisville as of now based on what I have been hearing. Add any of those 3 to Bentley and Rudd and you have an incredibly talented offensive line class.
- As far as the rest of the class, Louisville is still pursuing AJ Davis and Gary Johnson at both running back and linebacker respectively. If they miss on either I would venture to say they won’t take another at either position this year (unless a major target comes along late). If they could manage to land WR Jeff Thomas I think Louisville takes 4 WR’s. I also expect Louisville to take 1-2 more defensive lineman. Other than that it would have to be an “upgrade” at a position.
- We are keeping an eye on 4-star offensive lineman and current Florida commit Kadeem Telfort. Telfort is set to enroll early meaning a decision will have to be made shortly. From what I can tell he has gone back and forth several times with the last info I received saying Louisville was “gaining steam” a couple weeks back. If Louisville can land Telfort it would be a major addition to an offensive line needing an infusion of talent.
- Another name we have heard mentioned recently, WR Jeff Thomas is also one we are watching. The 4-star was MVP of the Under Armour All American Game this past weekend with 148 receiving yards and 2 touchdowns. According to a couple current commits Thomas is very interested in Louisville. There has been some talk of whether Thomas will qualify academically so that is also something to watch.
The following two tabs change content below.
Father, Husband, Louisville Fan. Follow me on twitter @cpersonTCZ for Louisville recruiting, news, and analysis.
Latest posts by Chris Person (see all)
- 3-Star Defensive End Aaron Odom Commits To Louisville - January 19, 2017
- 4-Star Offensive Lineman Caleb Chandler Commits To Louisville - January 15, 2017
- The Scoop - January 12, 2017