The Louisville men’s basketball team continues play in the Maui Jim Maui Invitational Tuesday against No. 21/20 Texas Tech at 2:30 p.m. ET in Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii. The game will air on ESPN2.
The Cardinals opened the tournament Monday with an 80-54 loss to No. 9/10 Arkansas. Louisville trailed by five with 14 minutes left in that contest before a 26-4 run by the Razorbacks. Texas Tech also lost to a top-25 opponent on Monday with a 76-65 defeat against No. 10/8 Creighton.
Louisville is 0-1 all-time against Texas Tech with a 70-57 loss to the Red Raiders in the 2019 Jimmy V Classic.
#21/20 Texas Tech (3-1) vs. Louisville (0-4)
November 22, 2022 | 2:30 p.m. ET
Lahaina Civic Center | Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii
Listen: Cardinal Sports Network (WLCL 93.9 FM & WGTK 970 AM flagship); Streaming (Paul Rogers, pxp | Bob Valvano, analysis)
Watch: ESPN2 (John Schriffen, pxp | Daymeon Fishback, analysis)
Live Stats: Maui Tournament Stats
• Louisville has participated in the Maui Invitational three times before in 1989, 2000 and 2004. The Cardinals are 5-5 all-time in the event and 21-12 overall in the state of Hawaii.
• This is the first time Louisville has played back-to-back AP Top 25 opponents since the 2019-20 season, when it faced No. 19 Kentucky on Dec. 28 and No. 18 Florida State on Jan. 4. UofL has won 45 of its last 102 games against AP ranked opponents. The Cardinals are 62-70 against Top 25 teams over the last 12 years.
• The Cardinals scored more points off the bench against Arkansas (29) than they did in their first three games combined (25). That was due in large part to a team-high 13 points from freshman forward Kamari Lands.
• The Cardinals have had much more success getting to the free-throw line in the last two games. After making 18 of just 22 opportunities in their first two games, they’ve gone 35 of 48 from the charity stripe in the last two outings.
• Louisville was the first team since at least 1980 to lose its first three games of the season by one point each, according to ESPN Stats & Info. Including last year’s 51-50 loss to Virginia in the ACC Tournament, the Cardinals were the first team to lose four straight games overall by one point since Stetson in 1981-82.
• Per Ken Pomeroy, Louisville is 338th in the country in Division I experience with an average of 0.91 years.
HISTORY VS. TEXAS TECH (Texas Tech leads 1-0)
Last Meeting: Texas Tech 70, Louisville 57
Dec. 10, 2019 | New York (Jimmy V Classic)
Davide Moretti scored 18 points and hit successive 3-pointers that helped Texas Tech knock off undefeated No. 1 Louisville 70-57 at Madison Square Garden.
The Cardinals shot 34% from the floor and leading scorer Jordan Nwora had only 14 points.
Moretti buried two straight 3s midway through the second half for an 11-point lead that gave the Red Raiders the space they needed. Chris Clarke hit another 3 for Texas Tech and it went into a timeout with a seven-point lead.
Louisville could never make a run, and Nwora was held below his 21.4 scoring average.
The Cardinals missed 20 of 28 shots overall from the floor in the first half and were limited from 3-point range, the kind of shooting that gave a scuffling team like Texas Tech a chance.