Last year I started TVT because people were down on Luke early on. I could see he was contributing, just not scoring. As fans, we tend to focus on points. I factor 10 statistical categories that can either benefit or harm the team, and come up with a score (or team value) for each player.
Thus TVT was born.
TVT = True Value to the Team. Add up all the good stats, subtract out all the bad stats, and divide by minutes played. The end result gives you the number of positive contributions per minute a player gives you when he steps on the court. As the season goes on, I will continue with game and season averages. It also does a pretty good job of telling you how a player will do based on the type of match-up we face.
TVT Box-score: USM
- I usually don’t include players that play less than 5 minutes, so what the hell. Just know that Levitch’s 1 minute landed him top score, and mentally exclude players with less than 5 minutes played. I will not render those scores on season averages so you can see how the major minutes guys rank.
- Largely outstanding production for the team. Who wasn’t outstanding? Ware and Hancock. It happens. I am not worried about Hancock, but I am watching Ware due to his return from injury and off field issues. He is not producing as much as last year so far this season (last year numbers at bottom of post).
- Mathiang really got after it this game. That is a great sign. We do not contend for a title without solid and consistent production at the 5 spot. In last 10 years, teams rarely win without a productive center.
- Rozier was rewarded with more minutes and was more productive. I like the Rozier starts, and Jones off the bench. It slows up the risk of getting Smith and Jones in Foul trouble simultaneously, and they are 2 important scoring threats for us. It was to see Jones TO’s blow up in this game. A rare showing for him. I am hoping that it isn’t a mental thing that coming off the bench he is trying to hard to impress too quickly, instead of getting in the flow. Sometimes players don’t like coming off the bench. It’s a vanity thing.
- In 10 statistical categories I track, Louisville won all 10. Domination.
- Louisville had 16% more O-rebounds, 7% more total rebounds. Harrell and Mathiang averaged more rebounds per minute than Behanan, interesting…
- USM was pesky, but I didn’t expect Louisville to shoot 41.8% from the field.
- I am seeing an alarming trend on Home FT’s. We are getting a home court advantage it seems. We know that is fools gold however, as evidenced by the neutral court deficit vs. UNC, and what I anticipate to be another deficit vs. Kentucky. I hope I am wrong.
- TVT Raw Score improved from a long time low vs. UNC. Yes, I saw UAB upset UNC. Meeks had 0 assists (you are welcome UAB), and Marcus Paige was having an off night shooting 6-16. Awesome.
Not much to speak to on a blowout. I was impressed with only allowing 38 points. That is hard to do against D1 scholarship players. USM wasn’t a pushover. They were 6-0, and beat DePaul. I know, its DePaul, but still. We held them to a pretty low point total. Impressive.
I am hoping that we can get a fluid inside scoring game throwing, because we are dangerously close to being the “live by the 3, die by the 3” team. That is a very hard season for the ole’ ticker if that happens.
Still hoping that the Ware/Behanan distractions can finally come to an end. Law Enforcement said CB had nothing to do with it, and while that is good to hear – it is still another CB distraction for everyone to process.
Next up, UMKC – yet another team that won’t prepare us for Kentucky, but hopefully we can work out some kinks. Also, get some guys more confidence that need it. Baby Steps, it’s a long season.
This Year’s Team Averages
Last Year’s Team Averages
See how value has improved, declined or just compare the teams overall TVT to 2012
Look at the amount of people over .40. That is a good depth barometer for production & team depth. That means they are producing a positive stat – offsetting any negative production – about ever 2.5 minutes on the court.
There are things that I can’t track, like “general defensive mayhem from speed”. Something that Ware provides.
Latest posts by @CrumsRevenge (see all)
- Quentin Snider: Louisville’s Man of Mettle - October 12, 2017
- GAMEDAY 2016: Louisville defeats #2 FSU - September 11, 2017
- CrumsRevenge Hype Video: Baba Yaga (the boogeyman) - August 28, 2017