As Louisville heads into conference play, there will be SEVERAL games on television and fans will be heading to GAMEWATCH parties throughout the city. To spice things up, we are releasing our 3rd Annual Louisville Basketball Drinking Game. We established this during the 2013 Championship season and had a blast last year hearing your stories using the game. TheCrunchZone.com is excited to hear more of the same this season all the way through Indianapolis. Please enjoy this game responsibly. Cheers!
I. THE “PLAYER DRAFT”
Before the game begins, you must conduct a player “draft.” You’re responsible for draft order. Drafters choose from one of the FOUR following players: Chris Jones, Terry Rozier, Wayne Blackshear, and Montrezl Harrell. If you have more than FOUR people you may choose a player that has already been chosen (two people may have the same player). Don’t worry about the rest of the roster they’ll come into play later on.
II. YOUR INDIVIDUAL DRAFTED PLAYER RULES: (Refer to the draft)
All of Section II is specific to your drafted starting player.
- Drink one (1) for every point your drafted player scores (E.g., You drafted Blackshear and he makes a layup – drink two; or, you drafted Terry and he makes a 3-pointer – drink three, one for free throws). Always remember that these drinks are not meant to be a burden. It’s a celebration. We just freaking scored.
Each starter has a SUPERPOWER. This superpower is specific to only that player. When your drafted player uses his superpower in the course of the game, you give drinks out instead of take them, but some come with a caveat. The individual superpowers are as follows:
- Chris Jones: The person who drafts Chris Jones must hold a ball throughout the entirety of the game. It doesn’t have to be a full size basketball, just a ball of some kind. Dropping the ball is a turnover, and instead of doing a lap around the house you finish your drink. Each time Chris attempts a crazy shot (good or bad), give out (2) drinks to anyone in the room. If anyone in the room says, “NOOOO” during a Jones shot that goes in, that person automatically gets the drinks. Also if Chris Jones has an assist, the player who drafted the player who made the basket drinks twice.
- Terry Rozier: The player that drafts Terry Rozier needs to chew gum and aggressively and demonstratively chomp throughout. It might be weird, but drinking while chewing the gum is also required. Whenever Rozier jumps with a positive result, layup, deflection, steal, rebound….jump in the direction of the person you are giving the drink to.
- Wayne Blackshear: The person who drafts Blackshear must be wearing eyeliner and must act the character of the type of game that Wayne is currently having i.e. Fat Wayne, Big Game Wayne, Wayne’s World, Fouling Wayne, Making it Wayne, Invisible Wayne . Each Blackshear jumper attempted allows you to give out two (2) drinks. If he makes the basket, give out three (3) drinks. Distribute the drinks by throwing fast food wrappers. 1 wrapper=1 drink.
- Montrezl Harrell: Drafting Montrezl means that you must speak Loud, Fast, and really close to whomever you are addressing. You are an intimidator now, and your job is to distribute drinks for each DunkL, BlockL, and ReboundL made by Trezl. While declaring who gets to partake in those libations you must address your fellow players with an audible “L” on the end of their names. Failure to do so will make you responsible for those tributes.
Special Individual Player Rules: (Rare individual player rules)
These are rare instances that your drafted player may play a part in during the course of a game. Watch for these both for your player and other players in the room.
- Technical Foul: Drink 10 if your drafted player gets a technical foul. Also punch your neighbor and give him or her 10 as well (don’t need to inflict real pain, but it’s your world). You may spread these 10 around the room if you’d prefer. If Karl Hess “T’s” up Pitino for yelling at a Cardinal, FINISH THE BOTTLE.
- Posterized: If your drafted player posterizes another team’s player, give out 5 drinks to the room. If you get up and re-enact the play, give out 15. If player gets a technical while giving the stare down make sure to add drinks from technical foul rule.
- Career High: If your drafted player achieves a career high in points, you can give out drinks to the room up to that total (e.g., if any player bests his career high by scoring 29 points, you give out 29 drinks).
III. UNIVERSAL PLAYER RULES
a. International Subsection
- Mangok Mathiang: Every time the Mangok dunks, take three (3) drinks. Rub it in by referring to the nearest player as a type of fruit. You will need a different type of fruit for each dunk, duplicate fruit usage results in a penalty of an additional five (5) drinks. Mangok was born in Sudan and moved to Egypt for a short period before moving to Australia. Because of that, Mangok is the most culturally diverse Cardinal and if you want to spice things up feel free to mix in the Sudanese drink Araqi (basically a moonshine gin made from dates because alcohol is illegal in Sudan), or the Egyptian beer Stella (not Artois) or Sakkara, or of course Australia’s most popular beer the XXXX Gold.
- Anas Mahmoud: Each time Anas blocks a shot, take three (3) drinks followed by signing and dancing The Bangles 1985 hit ‘Walk Like an Egyptian’. Substitute the word ‘Walk’ for ‘Block’ and refer to Anas as “The King of DeNile”. Anas is from Egypt where beer is appears first in recorded history around 3400 B.C. It may be hard to find Egyptian Stella (not Artois) or Sakkara, but attempting is worth bonus points.
- Matz Stockman: Anytime the Big Norwegian makes a hook shot take (3) drinks. To really ramp up the Norwegian flair, try and locate some Akvavit (Aquavit), which is the national drink of Norway usually consumed during special occasions like Christmas, weddings, or Louisville basketball games.
IV. UNIVERSAL TEAM RULES:
Everyone in the room will take part in the following rules. These are meant to be community rules and are separate from the individual drafted player rules.
- If a block/charge replay is televised in slow motion, you have the option of doing a 10-second waterfall or getting up and doing a reenactment with your neighbor. If you choose the latter, have no regard for the coffee table, drink, or your neighbors that live below you.
- If a Louisville player is injured during a game and they are deemed out for the remainder of the game by the television crew (or radio) get out the bourbon and finish the bottle as a group.
Missed Free Throw Rule:
- When a Cardinal misses a free throw, everyone drinks (1), if a Card misses the front end of a 1 and 1, drink two (2).
The Unnecessary Power Dribble Rule:
- Each time a player uses the power dribble unnecessarily underneath the basket, drink five (5).
V. RESERVE RULES: (Avare, Levitch, & Gilbert)
- If any of the above mentioned players enter the game in the first half of play, everyone drink ten (10) for each. If they enter the game in the second half, everyone drink five (5).
- If any of these four players score at any point in the game, everyone drink the amount equal to the points scored (E.g., Levitch hits a 3-pointer, everyone drink 3).
- If any of these players miss a dunk, finish your drink.
Four White Guys & An Egyptian: If at any moment 4 White Guys and an Egyptian appear on the court together, finish the bottle.
*Rule Changes*: This is supposed to be FUN! Change the rules at your party to fit your group, let us know what works & what doesn’t. DESIGNATE A DRIVER & GO CARDS!!!!
VI. TWITTER Participation
- Send me @UofLSheriff50 pictures of your group playing this game.Especially good examples will be retweeted, and if yours is RT’d give out twenty (20) drinks courtesy of me.
- In Years Past players have printed out lamented rules and some have even created huge boards to play. We definitely want to see those if you make them.
Please enjoy this game responsibly. ALWAYS designate a driver and understand your limits.
Yellow Taxi: 636-5511
Green Cab: 635-6400
Ready Cab: 451-4114
City Scoot: 566-6384
Latest posts by Mark Blankenbaker (see all)
- VIDEO: Chris Mack Talks Minnesota/NCAA Tournament - March 20, 2019
- VIDEO: Richard Pitino Talks Louisville/NCAA Tournament - March 20, 2019
- TRANSCRIPT: Chris Mack, Jordan Nwora & Christen Cunningham Talk Minnesota/NCAA 1st Round - March 20, 2019